Vogue. June 1, 1947.
Stern Brothers, or Stern’s Department Store was based in New York and had moved to the 42nd Street location across from Bryant Park in 1913. This location would be open until 1969, when the store moved its flagship to Paramus, NJ. Stern’s move was primarily because of declining sales in the city, as most of its customer base moved to the suburbs. The original building was demolished and in 1974, the Grace Building, which is known for its modern sloping facade was opened in its place.